About Us

 

St. Mary’s & St. Gerard’s National School

St. Mary’s & St. Gerard’s National School is a Catholic, Co-educational Primary School situated in the picturesque and scenic village of Enniskerry. It provides a child-centred education as laid down in the Primary School Curriculum of the Department of Education.

The school first opened its doors in 1894 and was originally known as Enniskerry II National School. In 1940, three new classrooms were constructed on the present site. The “old school” as it is now known is currently used as a G.P. room.

In 1978, eight new classrooms were constructed and the original shelter was converted into a remedial room. On completion of the extra classrooms, the partitions between the classrooms in the old school were removed and a stage was erected to facilitate the Christmas Concert, the first of which was held in 1978.

 

School Ethos

St Mary’s & St Gerard’s National school is a co-educational, Catholic, primary school, which strives to provide a well-ordered, caring, happy and secure atmosphere where the intellectual, spiritual, physical, moral and cultural needs of all pupils are identified and addressed.

Together with the Board of Management, the parents and the parish community we provide Religious Education for the children in accordance with the doctrines, practices and traditions of the Catholic Church. Our Christian ethos permeates the school day through our actions, attitudes and practices.  

While St Mary’s & St Gerard’s is a school with a Catholic ethos, it also has due recognition for all other religions.

St Mary’s & St Gerard’s will endeavour to enhance the self-esteem of everyone in the school community, to imbue in the pupils respect for people and property and to encourage in them the idea of being responsible.

 

School Motto                                                                                                                                      Education is not the filling of the pail but the lighting of the fire  “

                         W B Yeats 

 

Our Staff

    Colette Langan (Principal)

    Alison McConnell (Deputy Principal)

    Anne Malone

    Olivia Murphy

    Connie Hughes 

    Nicola Healy 

    Carmel Kearney 

    Esther Seoighe

    Linda Russell

    Catherine O’Toole-Byrne

    Jean Finlay

    Rosemary Hempenstall 

 

SNA

    Breda Tobin 

 

School Secretary

    Annette Gleeson

 

School Caretaker

   Peter Keogh